I am a PhD student working jointly at the Museum of Cultural Heritage and Department of Chemistry as part of the Saving Oseberg Project. My research projected is centred on the development of bio-inspired materials for the consolidation of archaeological wood, with particular emphasis on the Oseberg finds. I am utilising organic, polymer, analytical and solid-state chemistry to develop a hybrid material that is not only able to support the mechanically and chemically fragile wood but also immobilise free-floating metal ions. I am focusing on lignin-like polymers and oligomers that will be compatible with the remaining wood structure in the objects. In order to offer greater stability I am investigating the use of silanes to cross link oligomer units inside the wood. Due to the highly degraded nature of the Oseberg wood re-submersion into a solution may be impossible on some of the objects so in situ polymerisation as well as lab based polymerisation followed by impregnation is being investigated.
- McHale, Emily; Steindal, Calin Constantin; Kutzke, Hartmut; Benneche, Tore & Harding, Stephen Ernest (2017). In situ polymerisation of isoeugenol as a green consolidation method for waterlogged archaeological wood. Scientific Reports. ISSN 2045-2322. 7 . doi: 10.1038/srep46481
- McHale, Emily; Braovac, Susan; Steindal, Calin Constantin; Gillis, Richard B; Adams, Gary; Harding, Stephen E; Benneche, Tore & Kutzke, Hartmut (2016). Synthesis and characterisation of lignin-like oligomers as a bio-inspired consolidant for waterlogged archaeological wood. Pure and Applied Chemistry. ISSN 0033-4545. 88(10-11), s 969- 977 . doi: 10.1515/pac-2016-0814 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- McHale, Emily; Harding, Stephen & Benneche, Tore (2017). Branching out: Using the Chemistry of trees to preserve archaeological wood.
- Braovac, Susan; McQueen, Caitlin; Andriulo, Fabrizio; McHale, Emily & Steindal, Calin Constantin (2016). The Saving Oseberg Project – Chemistry for the salvation of Viking Age wooden artefacts.
- Kutzke, Hartmut & McHale, Emily (2016). Taking a lesson from nature: bio-inspired materials for the preservation of cultural heritage objects.
- McHale, Emily; Braovac, Susan; Steindal, Calin Constantin; Kutzke, Hartmut & Benneche, Tore (2016). Consolidation of waterlogged archaeological wood with lignin-like oligomers.
- McHale, Emily; Steindal, Calin Constantin; Benneche, Tore; Kutzke, Hartmut & Harding, Stephen E. (2016). IN SITU PREPARATION OF LIGNIN-LIKE OLIGOMERS FOR THE CONSOLIDATAION OF WATERLOGGED ARCHAEOLOGICAL WOOD.
- McHale, Emily; Steindal, Calin Constantin; Braovac, Susan; Gillis, Richard; Adams, Gary; Benneche, Tore & Kutzke, Hartmut (2016). Synthesis and characterisation of lignin-like oligomers as a bio-inspired consolidant for waterlogged archaeological wood.
- Amberger, Maria Laura; Christensen, Mikkel; Hauer, David; McQueen, Caitlin; Braovac, Susan; Kutzke, Hartmut; Hjulstad, Guro; Helgeland, Kirsten Jensen; Teigen, Mårten; McHale, Emily; Steindal, Calin Constantin & Andriulo, Fabrizio (2015). Saving Oseberg Forskningsprosjekt.
- Grydeland, Ivar & McHale, Emily (2015, 29. oktober). Oseberggrenstandene skal reddes. [Radio].