I’m interested in the museum as an institution and its role towards a larger public. I’ve worked both theoretically and practically with this theme through my research and through a number of larger or smaller exhibition projects.
Most recently I have focused on the museum as an experimental site. For decades the museum has been conceived as a place where academic knowledge could be disseminated to a larger public, or – more recently –as a place where different interest groups could be given a public voice. But the development of theory on materiality and the emergence of new kinds of research collaborations, including non-academics more profoundly in the research process, have opened up for a new potential for the museum. As public space the museum can be turned into a powerhouse, where different kinds of knowledges and practices may meet and create a particular ’museal’ perspective on the world.
Higher education and employment history
- 2010: PhD, University of Aarhus and Moesgård Museum
- 2001: MA in Antropologi and Ethnography, University of Aarhus
- 1998: MA Anthropology of Art, University College London
- 2011-13: Postdoctorasl research on designexperiments, as a part of the research project Death, Materiality and the Origin of Time, KHM.
- 2005-2009: PhD-research on contemporary ethnographic exhibitions. This research consisted of a number of shorter visits to ethnographic museums around Europe and North America as well as longer fieldworks at Museum für Völkerkunde in Vienna and Moesgård Museum in Aarhus, Denmark.
- 1999-2000: Fieldwork on the chhau masked dance in Seraikella, Jharhkand, India.
Academic work background
- 2010-11: Head of the UNESCO school collections, Moesgård Museum
- 2007-9: Teacher and coordinator on bachelor-course on anthropological communication, Section of Anthropology and Ethnography, University of Aarhus.
- 2007: Exhibition curator on ’One world – a thousand stories’, Moesgård Museum.
- 2009-11: Apart from this I have collected objects on everyday life and rituals in Seraikella, India; revised collections; planned exhibitions and museum activities, produced educational material etc. at Moesgård Museum.
- 2007-10: Boardmember and newsletter editor at the International Committee for Museums and Collections of Ethnography, ICME.
- University of Aarhus: Death, Materiality and the Origin of Time
- Oslo National Acadamy of Art (Kunsthøgskolen i Oslo, KHiO)
- University of Tromsø: Museum knowledge (Museers Viten- Museumsviten, MusVit)
- Center for Museum Studies, University of Oslo