- Tuesday–Sunday, 10:00–17:00
- closed on Mondays
Get close up to feelings that are thousands of years old. Our new exhibition displays emotions across time and space.
The Vikings and their ancestors looked upon animals with awe and admiration. Enter a world where the relationship with animals was completely different from today.
An historic walk through the world!
At the Historical Museum, you can return to the past in Norway's largest cultural-historical collections. You can see the country’s oldest skull, exquisite Viking treasures, Egyptian mummies and a multitude of ethnographic exhibitions, to name a few.
Children under 18
Staff and students at UiO
Season ticket, adult
For tour operators
To apply for a voucher agreement, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A ticket gives you admission to both museums for 48 hours.
- Tickets are available from the ticket office at the museum entrance.
- There is no need to buy tickets up front. We do not sell tickets online.
- We accept Mastercard, Visa, Maestro, Union Pay, JCB, Oslo Pass, ICOM cards and V Pay credit cards.
Stay home if you are sick.
Have good hand and cough hygiene
Limit the number of people you meet.
We strongly advice you wear a face mask throughout the visit.
Keep at least 1 meter away from others, even if you use a face mask.
The cloakroom is closed to prevent infection.
Opening September 18th.
Temporarily closed exhibitions
The Historical Museum has a long history. And with a long history comes many exhibitions and a lot of content. Experience previous exhibitions and online exhibitions.
Download museum brochure
The shop has a wide range of jewelry, books and magazines related to archeology, history, anthropology and numismatics. We also have postcards, souvenirs and toys.
There is no food or drink service at the museum, but there are cafés and restaurants in the immidiate vicinity.
Frederiks gate 2, 0164 Oslo
- The museum is located a few minutes walk from Nationaltheatret t-station.
- Tram nr 11, 17 and 18 to Holbergs plass. See ruter.no for tickets and time tables
There is no dedicated parking at the museum. Visitors kan use public parking in the area.
Accessibility and facilities at the Historical Museum
- The building has four floors and a basement. The southern wing on the 3rd floor is not wheelchair accessible.
- Entrances: Three entrances are accessible by steps. One entrance at the back of the museum is accessible for wheelchair users.
- Lift: The museum has a cargo lift (295cm x 205cm) at the back of the museum. To use the lift, patrons must ring the telephone number posted by the front entrance.
- Toilets: Toilets are located on the landing between the ground floor and 1st floor. Toilets for disabled persons are located on the 2nd floor.
- Accessibility: Some interior doorways have high thresholds, non-standard widths and heavy doors. The building is not equipped with a wire loop. Please notify the staff if you need assistance or if there are other ways we can accommodate you.
- Animals are not allowed into the building. Except for guide dogs for the blind.