Explore the exhibitions in 360 degrees
Now you can experience the viking ships Oseberg, Gokstad and Tune, and the exhibitions of VÍKINGR, The Medieval Gallery, Transformation, Collapse and America at The Historical Museum, digitally from your mobile phone or computer.
Join Professor Marianne Vedeler on a tour of this unique exhibit, designed by Snøhetta..
An historic walk through the world!
At the Historical Museum, you can return to the past in Norway's largest cultural-historical collections. You can see the country’s oldest skull, exquisite Viking treasures, Egyptian mummies and a multitude of ethnographic exhibitions, to name a few.
We are renovating!
We are now working to rehabilitate the building back to its original condition. The museum is open to the public throughout the rehabilitation.
Open Tuesday to Sunday
- Open Tuesday–Sunday 10:00–16:00, Mondays closed
- Closed: May 1 and 17, December 24; 25; 26 and 31
- Emotions in Antiquity and Ancient Egypt
- The Medieval Gallery
- The Egyptian mummies (temporarily closed)
- VÍKINGR – Viking Age exhibition
- Collapse - human being in an unpredictable world
- Transformation – faith and sacred objects in the Middle Ages
- Arctic: Populations of the Arctic and sub-Arctic areas (temporarily closed)
- America - Present - Past - Identity
- Good as gold - coins are history
- Ethnographic exhibitions
Accessibility and facilities at the Historical Museum
- The building has four floors and a basement. The southern wing on the 3rd floor is not wheelchair accessible.
- Entrances: Three entrances are accessible by steps. One entrance at the back of the museum is accessible for wheelchair users.
- Lift: The museum has a cargo lift (295cm x 205cm) at the back of the museum. To use the lift, patrons must ring the telephone number posted by the front entrance.
- Toilets: Toilets are located on the landing between the ground floor and 1st floor. Toilets for disabled persons are located on the 2nd floor.
- Accessibility: Some interior doorways have high thresholds, non-standard widths and heavy doors. The building is not equipped with a wire loop. Please notify the staff if you need assistance or if there are other ways we can accommodate you.
- Animals are not allowed into the building. Except for guide dogs for the blind.