Explore the exhibitions in 360 degrees
Now you can experience the viking ships Oseberg, Gokstad and Tune, and the exhibitions of VÍKINGR, The Medieval Gallery, Transformation, Collapse and America at The Historical Museum, digitally from your mobile phone or computer.
Join Professor Marianne Vedeler on a tour of this unique exhibit, designed by Snøhetta..
An historic walk through the world!
At the Historical Museum, you can return to the past in Norway's largest cultural-historical collections. You can see the country’s oldest skull, exquisite Viking treasures, Egyptian mummies and a multitude of ethnographic exhibitions, to name a few.
Due to a break in the negotiations between NHO Service og Handel, Parat and Norsk Arbeidsmandsforbund (NAF), several of our two museums' security guards have gone on strike. This has consequences for our opening hours.
- The Historical Museum is closed due to a security guard strike.
Children under 18
Staff and students at UiO
Season ticket, adult
For tour operators
To apply for a voucher agreement, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A ticket gives you admission to both museums for 48 hours.
- Tickets are available from the ticket office at the museum entrance.
- There is no need to buy tickets up front. We do not sell tickets online.
- We accept Mastercard, Visa, Maestro, Union Pay, JCB, Oslo Pass, ICOM cards and V Pay credit cards.
- For infection protection, we are reducing the number of visitors who may be inside the Museums at the same time.
- The audience must keep at least 1 meter distance to each other, this also applies in any queue outside the museums.
- Contactless payment by card is recommended.
- The storage wardrobe area is closed. We therefore encourage visitors to only bring small bags.
- Visitors with young children are recommended to wear a baby carrier.
- Anti-bacterial gel is available to the public in several places in the Museums.
- For the time being, we do not accept larger organized groups of visitors.
- Emotions in Antiquity and Ancient Egypt
- The Medieval Gallery
- Egypt in Europe (temporarily closed)
- VÍKINGR – Viking Age exhibition
- Collapse - human being in an unpredictable world
- Transformation – faith and sacred objects in the Middle Ages
- Arctic: Populations of the Arctic and sub-Arctic areas (temporarily closed)
- America - Present - Past - Identity (temporarily closed)
- Good as gold – coins are history (temporarily closed)
- Ethnographic exhibitions
Visit the Museum Shop
The shop has a wide range of jewelry, books and magazines related to archeology, history, anthropology and numismatics. We also have postcards, souvenirs and toys.
There is no food or drink service at the museum, but there are cafés and restaurants in the immidiate vicinity.
Frederiks gate 2, 0164 Oslo
- The museum is located a few minutes walk from Nationaltheatret t-station.
- Tram nr 11, 17 and 18 to Holbergs plass. See ruter.no for tickets and time tables
There is no dedicated parking at the museum. Visitors kan use public parking in the area.
Accessibility and facilities at the Historical Museum
- The building has four floors and a basement. The southern wing on the 3rd floor is not wheelchair accessible.
- Entrances: Three entrances are accessible by steps. One entrance at the back of the museum is accessible for wheelchair users.
- Lift: The museum has a cargo lift (295cm x 205cm) at the back of the museum. To use the lift, patrons must ring the telephone number posted by the front entrance.
- Toilets: Toilets are located on the landing between the ground floor and 1st floor. Toilets for disabled persons are located on the 2nd floor.
- Accessibility: Some interior doorways have high thresholds, non-standard widths and heavy doors. The building is not equipped with a wire loop. Please notify the staff if you need assistance or if there are other ways we can accommodate you.
- Animals are not allowed into the building. Except for guide dogs for the blind.