An historic walk through the world!
At the Historical Museum, you can return to the past in Norway's largest cultural-historical collections. You can see the country’s oldest skull, exquisite Viking treasures, Egyptian mummies and a multitude of ethnographic exhibitions, to name a few.
We are renovating!
We are now working to rehabilitate the building back to its original condition. In connection with this work, some of our exhibitions will be closed for periods. Get a complete overview of the closing periods in the exhibition overview.
Open Tuesday to Sunday
- Open Tuesday-Sunday. Monday closed
- 1 October to 30 April: 11:00 am to 16:00 pm
- 2 May to 30 September: 10:00 am to 17:00 pm
- Closed: May 1 and 17, December 24; 25; 26 and 31
- Emotions in Antiquity and Ancient Egypt
- The Medieval Gallery
- The Egyptian mummies
- VÍKINGR – Viking Age exhibition
- Collapse - human being in an unpredictable world
- Transformation – faith and sacred objects in the Middle Ages (closed until further notice)
- Arctic: Populations of the Arctic and sub-Arctic areas
- America - Present - Past - Identity
- Good as gold - coins are history
- Ethnographic exhibitions
Accessibility and facilities at the Historical Museum
- The building has four floors and a basement. The southern wing on the 3rd floor is not wheelchair accessible.
- Entrances: Three entrances are accessible by steps. One entrance at the back of the museum is accessible for wheelchair users.
- Lift: The museum has a cargo lift (295cm x 205cm) at the back of the museum. To use the lift, patrons must ring the telephone number posted by the front entrance.
- Toilets: Toilets are located on the landing between the ground floor and 1st floor. Toilets for disabled persons are located on the 2nd floor.
- Accessibility: Some interior doorways have high thresholds, non-standard widths and heavy doors. The building is not equipped with a wire loop. Please notify the staff if you need assistance or if there are other ways we can accommodate you.
- Animals are not allowed into the building. Except for guide dogs for the blind.