Currently rehabilitating - some exhibitions closed at History Museum
An historic walk through the world!
At the Historical Museum, you can return to the past in Norway's largest cultural-historical collections. You can see the country’s oldest skull, exquisite Viking treasures and many other exciting, impressive and surprising objects that will fascinate people of all ages!
Open Tuesday to Sunday
- Open Tuesday-Sunday. Monday closed
- 1 October to 30 April: 11:00 am to 16:00 pm
- 2 May to 30 September: 10:00 am to 17:00 pm
- Closed: Mondays, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day, New Years Eve, New Years Day, 1 May and 17 May
- The Medieval Gallery (closed until Nov 22)
- The Egyptian mummies
- VÍKINGR – New Viking Age exhibition (closed until Nov 22)
- Collapse - human being in an unpredictable world
- Transformation – faith and sacred objects in the Middle Ages (closed until Nov 29)
- Arctic: Populations of the Arctic and sub-Arctic areas (closed Dec 2-13)
- America - Present - Past - Identity
- Good as gold - coins are history
- Ethnographic exhibitions
Accessibility and facilities at the Historical Museum
- The building has four floors and a basement. The southern wing on the 3rd floor is not wheelchair accessible.
- Entrances: Three entrances are accessible by steps. One entrance at the back of the museum is accessible for wheelchair users.
- Lift: The museum has a cargo lift (295cm x 205cm) at the back of the museum. To use the lift, patrons must ring the telephone number posted by the front entrance.
- Toilets: Toilets are located on the landing between the ground floor and 1st floor. Toilets for disabled persons are located on the 2nd floor.
- Accessibility: Some interior doorways have high thresholds, non-standard widths and heavy doors. The building is not equipped with a wire loop. Please notify the staff if you need assistance or if there are other ways we can accommodate you.