Visiting addressMuseum of Cultural History (map)
Frederiks gate 2
On 8 August 1903, the archaeologist Gabriel Gustafson received a visit from Oskar Rom, a farmer who had dug into a large burial mound on his property and had come across the remains of a ship.
A large burial mound called ‘the king’s mound’ was situated at the farm of Gokstad in Sandefjord municipality. In autumn 1879 the two teenage sons on the farm were bored and started to dig into the mound to see if they could find anything exciting.