Professor - Section for Ethnography
Phone +47 22859992
Mobile phone +47 97022203
Visiting address Frederiks gate 2 0164 Oslo
Postal address Postboks 6762 St. Olavs plass 0130 Oslo
- Regionally my research is focussed on South Asia with and particularly on Sri Lanka. i am the keeper of the museum's ethnographic collection from Pakistan, India, Bangaladesh and Sri Lanka.
- My research has for many years focussed on the civil war in Sri Lanka and on the issues related to this conflict in terms of ethnic relations, political change, physical migration and the activities of the Tamil diaspora. As a part of the issue of Tamil diaspora I have also focussed on the significance of differences in policies of immigration and integration for the internal dynamics in minority groups produced by migration.
- In recent years my research has followed two tracks: As a part of our internal Departmental research project Making sense through the senses – exploring the aesthetics of ritual I have followed local, rital practices related to the godess Kannagi/Pattini in the East Province of Sri Lanka, a godessen worshipped by Tamils as well as Singhalese. Adittionally I have through participation in the international HERA- project Creativity and Innovation in a World of Movement focussed on issues of representation related to ethnographic exhibitions. These seemingly quite different topics does have in common an interest in the question of how perceptions of the world are mediated through artifacts and practises.
- 1996: PhD., Department and Museum of Anthropology, University of Oslo.
- 1986: Magister artium, Department and Museum of Anthropology, University of Oslo.
Research (externally financed projects)
- 2010 – 2012: Creativity and Innovation in a World of Movement, HERA (Principle Investigator)
- 2004 – 2007: Ungdom i flyktningfamilier, Helse & Rehabilitering
- 2002 – 2005: Nettverk og tilpasning – transnasjonale familier i Norge, Norwegian Research Council.
- 1997 – 2001: Resource conflicts, migration and social change in Batticaloa, Sri Lanka, Norwegian Research Council
- 2005- : Professor, Museum of Cultural History, Univesrsity of Oslo.
- 2000 – 2005: Head of Research, NOVA (Norwegian Social Research)
- 1997 – 1999: Senior Researcher, SUM (Centre for Development and Environment)
- 2011 – 2014: Head of Department of Ethnography, Museum of Cultural History, University of Oslo.
Published Sep. 11, 2012 2:23 PM - Last modified Mar. 5, 2021 8:27 AM