Professor - Section for Ethnography
Mobile phone +47-97022203
Visiting address Frederiks gate 2 None 0164 OSLO
Postal address Postboks 6762 St. Olavs plass 0130 OSLO
- Regionally my research is focussed on South Asia with and particularly on Sri Lanka. i am the keeper of the museum's ethnographic collection from Pakistan, India, Bangaladesh and Sri Lanka.
- My research has for many years focussed on the civil war in Sri Lanka and on the issues related to this conflict in terms of ethnic relations, political change, physical migration and the activities of the Tamil diaspora. As a part of the issue of Tamil diaspora I have also focussed on the significance of differences in policies of immigration and integration for the internal dynamics in minority groups produced by migration.
- In recent years my research has followed two tracks: As a part of our internal Departmental research project Making sense through the senses – exploring the aesthetics of ritual I have followed local, rital practices related to the godess Kannagi/Pattini in the East Province of Sri Lanka, a godessen worshipped by Tamils as well as Singhalese. Adittionally I have through participation in the international HERA- project Creativity and Innovation in a World of Movement focussed on issues of representation related to ethnographic exhibitions. These seemingly quite different topics does have in common an interest in the question of how perceptions of the world are mediated through artifacts and practises.
- 1996: PhD., Department and Museum of Anthropology, University of Oslo.
- 1986: Magister artium, Department and Museum of Anthropology, University of Oslo.
Research (externally financed projects)
- 2010 – 2012: Creativity and Innovation in a World of Movement, HERA (Principle Investigator)
- 2004 – 2007: Ungdom i flyktningfamilier, Helse & Rehabilitering
- 2002 – 2005: Nettverk og tilpasning – transnasjonale familier i Norge, Norwegian Research Council.
- 1997 – 2001: Resource conflicts, migration and social change in Batticaloa, Sri Lanka, Norwegian Research Council
- 2005- : Professor, Museum of Cultural History, Univesrsity of Oslo.
- 2000 – 2005: Head of Research, NOVA (Norwegian Social Research)
- 1997 – 1999: Senior Researcher, SUM (Centre for Development and Environment)
- 2011 – 2014: Head of Department of Ethnography, Museum of Cultural History, University of Oslo.
- Fuglerud, Øivind (2017). Manifesting Sri Lankan Megalomania: The Rajapakses' Vision of Empie and of a Clean Colombo, In Tereza Kuldova & Mathew Akkanad Varghese (ed.), Urban Utopias: Excess and Expulsion in Neoliberal South Asia. Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 978-3-319-47622-3. Kapittel 7. s 119 - 138
- Fuglerud, Øivind (2016). Positioned Creativity: Museums, Politics and Indigenous Art in British Columbia and Norway, In Creativity in Transition: Politics and Aesthetics of Cultural Production Across the Globe. Berghahn Books. ISBN 978-1-78533-181-7. Kapittel 6. s 158 - 184
- Fuglerud, Øivind (2014). Sri Lanka: Selvråderett, norsk engasjement og historiske fantasier., I: Svein Harald Gullbekk (red.), Ja, vi elsker frihet. Dreyer Forlag A/S. ISBN 978-82-8265-093-9. Kapittel. s 180 - 188
- Fuglerud, Øivind (2012). Art and Ambiguity. Museum Anthropology. ISSN 0892-8339. 35(2), s 170- 184 . doi: 10.1111/j.1548-1379.2012.01130.x
- Fuglerud, Øivind (2011). Aesthetics of Martyrdom: The Celebration of Violent Death among the Liberation Tigers of Tamil eelam, In Nerina Weiss & Maria Six-Hohenbalken (ed.), Violence Expressed. An Anthropological Approach. Ashgate. ISBN 978-0-7546-7884-7. Kapittel 4. s 71 - 88
- Fuglerud, Øivind (2017). Migrasjonsforståelse. Flytteprosesser, rasisme og globalisering. Universitetsforlaget. ISBN 978-82-15-01394-7. 280 s.
- Fuglerud, Øivind & Wainwright, Leon (ed.) (2015). OBJECTS AND IMAGINATION Perspectives on Materialization and Meaning. Berghahn Books. ISBN 978-1-78238-568-4. 270 s.
- Bruland, Stine; Cañás Bottos, Lorenzo & Fuglerud, Øivind (2015). Underneath the margosa tree. Re-creating meaning in a Tamil family after war and migration.
- Fuglerud, Øivind & Wainwright, Leon (2015). Introduction, In Øivind Fuglerud & Leon Wainwright (ed.), OBJECTS AND IMAGINATION Perspectives on Materialization and Meaning. Berghahn Books. ISBN 978-1-78238-568-4. Introduction. s 1 - 24
- Fuglerud, Øivind (2013). Norway, In Peter Reeves (ed.), The Encyclopedia of the Sri Lankan Diaspora. Editions Didier Millet Pte Ltd, Singapore. ISBN 978-981-4260-83-1. Delkapittel. s 149 - 153
Published Sep. 11, 2012 2:23 PM - Last modified Mar. 4, 2015 12:42 PM