My PhD project “The Materiality of Medieval Healing Rituals” entails a study of the KHM‘s collection of medieval artefacts connected to illness and healing in the medieval period (including relics, lead amulets and anatomical votives). The collection will be used as a case study to explore how the material culture at hand was used as a medium in healing rituals, including practices rooted in popular belief as well as miraculous healing, in order to reflect on how the medieval worldview shaped people’s relationships with their bodies as well as attitudes towards illness and impairments.
MSc (distinction) in archaeology from the University of Glasgow with a specialism in Material Culture & Artefact Studies. I have worked as a find’s specialist on numerous excavation projects at the Institute of Archaeology, Iceland as well as teaching at the Archaeology Department of the University of Iceland.
- “From the Ground to the Glass Case: Displaying Archaeological Narratives”. Archaeological Exhibitions: Challenges of Sharing the Past to Contemporary Public – An online workshop organized within the project ”Underground Iași - Rediscovered (Hi)Stories”, implemented by ”Moldova” National Museum Complex of Iași, Romania and the Institute of Archaeology, Iceland. 26th of February 2021.
- “Carving the Cross and Beast: The Expression of Social Identity through the Adornment of Decorative Bone Pins in Viking Age and Medieval Iceland”. Adornment as expression of everyday identity in ancient and medieval life, 12–13th of September 2019, The Norwegian Institute in Rome.
- Lilja Björk Pálsdóttir & Hildur Gestsdóttir (eds) with contributions by Birna Lárusdóttir, Hólmfríður Sveinsdóttir & Egill Erlendsson. 2021. Ólafsdalur við Gilsfjörð: Fornleifarannsóknir árið 2020. 3. áfangi. FS841-18123. Fornleifastofnun Íslands, Reykjavík.
- Ragnheiður Gló Gylfadóttir (ed.). Authors: Ragnheiður Gló Gylfadóttir, Hólmfríður Sveinsdóttir, Orri Vésteinsson og Uggi Ævarsson. 2021. Öskuhaugarnir á „Bergsstöðum“ í Þjórsárdal. Fornleifarannsókn árið 2020. FS822-20061. Fornleifastofnun Íslands, Reykjavík.
- Hólmfríður Sveinsdóttir og Lilja Björk Pálsdóttir. 2021. Fornleifarannsóknir í Vogavík, Vogum á Vatnsleysuströnd: Vegna fyrirhugaðra framkvæmda á lóð Stofnfisks. FS840-20451. Fornleifastofnun Íslands, Reykjavík.
- Hólmfríður Sveinsdóttir. 2020. Framkvæmdarannsókn vegna endurbyggingar smiðju og fyrirhugaðrar byggingar tæknihúss í Ólafsdal. FS808-20341. Fornleifastofnun Íslands, Reykjavík.
- Hólmfríður Sveinsdóttir. 2019. “Ferðasaga mósaíkflísa – Porfýrsteinar á Íslandi.” Árbók Hins íslenzka fornleifafélags 108, 107–149.