My work consists of conservation of archaeological objects, mainly metals and wet organic finds. Many of these are iron objects from pre-christian graves, especially from the viking age. Large amounts of leather and wooden objects from medieval towns are also treated. In addition to treatment of archaeological finds there is work related to exhibitions, preventive conservation and revision of stored collections.
Conservation of archaeological iron. X-ray examination, metallographic analysis and experimental archaeology as methods for analysing old craftsmanship. The use of archeological finds as a source for crafting leather and metals, especially shoemaking and the forging of viking age weapons and tools.
- Viking age weapons, what they looked like, how they where made and used, and how they changed during the course of the viking age. Typological systematization and overviews. 'Vikings at War', book published in norwegian 2011, translated into english 2016 (facebook).
- Major subject (storfag) in Object Conservation at the Conservation Studies, University of Oslo (1998-2001).
- Grunnfag and mellomfag in Nordic Archaeology at the University of Bergen (1996-1997).
Photos and x-rays
The Viking Axe from Langeid recreated - in March 2016, the Langeid Broadaxe was recreated using the forging techniques that were on hand at the time of the Vikings. The replica was produced from scratch, from bog iron blooms.
From bog iron to broadaxe - rebirth of the Langeid axe - video showing the process of recreating the broadaxe from Langeid.
Unmasking the hilt - the precious metal decoration on the hilt of the Langeid sword was obscured by a crust of iron corrosion. This cover was carefully removed by micro-chiselling under a stereo microscope.
A Viking sword from Lesja
Oct. 1, 2017 6:09 PM
Far into the mountains of Oppland in Norway a sword from the Viking Age was stumbled upon by reindeer hunters during the fall of 2017. This sword has now arrived for conservation at the Museum of Cultural History.
The ornate sword from Langeid
Sep. 21, 2017 2:57 PM
Mystical signs inlaid with gold bedeck the magnificent hilt of the Langeid sword – a Viking weapon infused with Christian symbolism and laid in a pre-Christian grave while the new faith was conquering the last regions of Norway.
The Langeid broadaxe
Feb. 21, 2017 3:44 PM
In the latter part of the Viking Age, a type of axe intended for use only in battle was developed. Streamlined and elegant, but at the same time a powerful lethal weapon. The broadaxe was a weapon to rival the sword as the foremost symbol of a warrior.
Langeid grave 8
June 28, 2016 10:48 AM
In 2011 a pre-Christian burial ground from the latter part of the Viking Age was discovered during archaeological excavations at Langeid in the valley of Setesdal. This proved to contain several dozen flat graves. Grave 8 was the most remarkable.
- Vike, Vegard A (2016). "Det er ikke gull alt som glimrer" : bredøkser med messingbeslått skaft fra sen vikingtid. Viking. ISSN 0332-608X. 79, s 95- 116 . doi: 10.5617/viking.3906
- Vike, Vegard A & Hjardar, Kim (2011). Vikinger i krig. Spartacus. ISBN 978-82-430-0475-7. 400 s.
- Grydeland, Ivar; Wenn, Camilla Cecilie; Aannestad, Hanne Lovise & Vike, Vegard A (2015, 22. september). Langeidsverdet. [Radio]. NRK Ekko hovedsending.
- Semb, Ellen; Aannestad, Hanne Lovise; Glørstad, Ann Zanette Tsigaridas; Vike, Vegard A & Wenn, Camilla Cecilie (2015, 14. juli). The last Viking and his magical sword?. [Internett]. www.alphagalileo.org.
- Næss, Ellen Marie; Solli, Brit; Wangen, Vivian; Vike, Vegard A; Eek, Ann Christine; Bjørgen, Inge; Landmark, Ingrid; Liholm, Kine; Rostad, Gøril & Semb, Ellen (2011). Isens Arkeologi-funn fra fonner i fjellet.
- Vedeler, Marianne; Vike, Vegard A; Wangen, Vivian & Finstad, Espen (2011, 08. september). En fullstendig bevart kjortel fra 300-tallet, fra Lendbreen i Skjåk og Lom kommuner. NRK1 – Østnytt, 08.09.2011, kl. 20:57 – 20:59.http://www.nrk.no/nett-tv/klipp/783578/.Ca 2:12–4:00 ut i sendingen.OgNRK1 – Dagsrevyen 19, 08.09.2011, kl. 19:26-19:28.http://www.nrk.no/nett-tv/klipp/783565/. Ca 26:30-28:20 ut i sendingen. [TV]. NRK.
- Vike, Vegard A; Hjardar, Kim; Bleken, Halfdan & Myklebust, Mona (2011, 23. august). 'Voldelig og sofistikert, familiemann og barbar - våre forfedre vikingene portretteres i ny bok.' Intervju på NRK P2 i programmet Ekko, 23.08.2011. I anledning utgivelse av boken 'Vikinger i krig'. [Radio]. NRK, P2. Radioprogrammet Ekko..
- Vike, Vegard A; Hjardar, Kim & Radøy, Sverre Tom (2011, 05. september). Interju i NRK programmet Dagsnytt 18 (radio og TV). I anledning utgivelse av boken 'Vikinger i krig'. [TV]. NRK programmet Dagsnytt 18 (radio og TV)..
- Sødal, Hedda; Bill, Jan & Vike, Vegard A (2009, 25. september). Fant 1000 år gammel fot. Aftenposten.
- Simonsen, Margrete Figenschou & Vike, Vegard A (2002, 15. juli). Utgravningen på Jong. Intervju, NRK-distriktsending. [TV]. Oslo.